Dog Friendly Stays
Dogs at Bolehill Farm
We love well-behaved dogs and welcome them with open arms. Dogs tend to quickly settle in to life at Bolehill and will be leading you to the dog paddock in no time at all! Our dog paddocks offer freedom and space with both long and short grasses for dogs to enjoy and roam.
That said in our experience, we would not recommend Bolehill for reactive dogs or dogs that bark at anything that passes or bark excessively (there will often be other dogs and people around in a courtyard setting). We say this with the best of intention so that the site can be enjoyed by all.
Dogs must be supervised and under control at all times when on-site, particularly in the courtyard and garden area. Dogs are not permitted to exercise in the Guest Garden off-lead as our dog paddocks are designed for this purpose.
Please see our individual cottage pages for details on the number and size of dogs each cottage can accommodate - please do ask if you wish to discuss. Essentially, we do not want you to be disappointed with the space on offer.
As a rule of thumb, we have cows in our fields (no bulls on our land) between the months of April to November yet our dog paddocks are always free of cows.
Dog Friendly Facilities
Here are just some of the facilities we have at Bolehill which may be of interest to pet owners:
- Main Dog Paddock: a large field enclosed by stone rubble walls approximately 0.8m high. Dogs are welcome to be on or off-lead in this area. Several access gates leading to the paddock. A mixture of long and short grasses. We mow this paddock approximately once a month in the warmer months by use of an agricultural topper to keep the short grasses controlled. A small picnic bench has been placed in the paddock area for your comfort. There are dog bins at both the of main entrances into the paddock. It is probable there may be multiple dogs using the paddock at the time of your visit.
- Little Legs Dog Paddock: as the name suggests, a much smaller paddock designed for dogs with little legs! Mainly short grasses which are mown approximately once a week during the warmer months. Enclosed with hazel hurdle fencing and stone rubble walls which are approximately 0.8m high. Designed as a secondary, supplementary dog paddock.
- Enclosed cottage outdoor areas: All of our cottages, except Shippon Cottage, have small enclosed outdoor areas leading from the cottage door (perimeter picket fence/stone walls are approximately 0.8m high). Shippon has a small enclosed area but this is opposite the cottage (does not lead from the front door). Hope Cottage has an outdoor area which is accessed via the rear door (accessed via a couple of steps).
- Dog wash: simple yet effective, comprising of a cold water tap with spray connector and brush. Centrally located in the courtyard area.
- Dog basket: left in your cottage containing essentials such bowls, towels and treats.
- Dog bins - we have two dog bins conviently placed on-site (close to each of the main entrances to the dog paddock).
- Cottage welcome guides containing information on dog friendly places to visit and eat.
Our Dog Rules
For the enjoyment of all, there are some guidelines/rules we would please ask dog owners to consider prior to making a booking and when staying at Bolehill Farm.
Whilst we appreciate the below may sound firm, we include these with the very best intentions as we want the site to be enjoyed by all present.
- Unfortunately, we are unable accommodate younger dogs, cats or any other animal under 9 months of age
- Do not leave pets in the cottages on their own unless absolutely necessary and if so, dogs must be placed in a suitable cage and must be able to be left in a cottage without barking repeatedly.
- It is preferable that pets do not go onto soft furnishings and beds. However, if they do, please ensure there is a suitable cover placed on the bed/soft furnishing (we provide towels).
- Please exercise your dogs away from the cottages in the designated dog paddocks. Dogs are not permitted to use the Guest Garden off the lead
- Dispose of any dog waste in bins on-site
- Please ensure that your pet is under reasonable control at all times - by this we mean your dog should not intimidate other guests
- Dogs must not be left unattended on site
- Please note that we do restrict the number and size of dogs in some cottages - see individual cottage pages on our website for more details yet please contact us should you wish to discuss - we do not want you to be disappointed with the space on offer
- Please ensure that your pet(s) (especially bitches) does not urinate on the Guest Garden grass areas as this leaves dead patches that become unsightly for other guests
We reserve the right to seek compensation from damage and excessive cleaning costs caused by dogs and any other pets and ask owners to take a responsible attitude.
Our Dog Charge
Dog Charge: Our daily dog charge is £5 per day.
This charge covers provisions, such as:
- Two allocated dog paddocks which are periodically mown
- Dog waste bins positioned around site
- Dog wash tap
- Dog welcome basket
- Enclosed cottage areas
- Wall gates
Please do get in touch if you are planning on bringing multiple dogs as we would be happy to discuss a reduction of the dog charge on this basis.
We reserve the right to retrospectively add the dog charge of £5 per night on to a booking should it not be included by the guest at the booking stage.
Dog Friendly Peak District
There are many dog friendly attractions and places within our local area for you and your dog to enjoy. A couple of ideas are below yet further ideas are listed in the 'Local Area' section of our website.
- Chatsworth - dogs welcome in the garden only
- Monsal, Tissington and High Peak Trails
- Crich Tramway Village
- Heights of Abraham
- Carsington Water
- Hardwick Hall - welcome in the parkland only
- Kedleston Hall - welcome in the parkland only
- Walks from the door - however a note of caution: many footpath walks have wall stiles only and not wall gates, as such access may be problematic for less mobile dogs
Dog Friendly Pubs
The Peak District has a great range of dog friendly pubs, below is just a selection: There is a more extensive list within your welcome folder which is provided in your cottage:
- The Bulls Head - Monyash -2 miles - 01629 640471 - dogs are welcome in the bar
- The Lathkill Hotel - Over Haddon - 2 miles 01629 812501 - dogs are welcome in the bar only
- The Pack Horse Inn - Little Longstone - 5 miles 01629 640471 - dogs are welcome in the bar
- The Crispin Inn - Great Longstone - 5 miles 01629 640237
- The Royal Oak - Hurdlow - 5 miles 01298 83288 - dogs are welcome in the bar
- The Bulls Head - Foolow - 9 miles 01433 63087