Thursday we designate as ‘our day off’ in the summer when we can. Today was one of those days. The usual bits still need to be done and we had breakfast to do but after that we try to have as much of the day to ourselves as we can. When we can we go for walks but with the weather not looking promising and not being sure about ground conditions it was down to Plan B. The trouble was I could not decide on Plan B! In the end we decided to go Macclesfield. Our friends in Chelmorton go shopping there and I will be using the station there in a few weeks time so we thought we would do a trial run. There was also a furniture showroom I wanted to visit.
We set off passing the site where the quarry exhibition had been. They were still clearing up and there were a number of helicopters there to. We went over the Cat and Fiddle route stopping for an early lunch at he Peak Tearoom near the Cat & Fiddle pub. You get some nice views over the Cheshire plain from here. After that it was a short drive into Macclesfield.
We found a spot to park and had a walk around the shopping area and found the station. The furniture showroom was opposite the station so we went across to explore. In a previous job I used to do a lot of travelling between London and Manchester and always considered the showroom is an architectural gem when the train passed through Macclesfield. I wandered in and realised there was a lot more to the showroom than I thought but before I could let Chris know how big the place was I found myself being offered a glass of champagne. Who am I to say no! We decided it would be easier to drive back here as it would be easier to get back on the road home. This we did and had an interesting few hours wandering around the store accompanied by champagne, strawberries and cream and nibbles. Was this usually like this? No – we had just happened to call in on their sale preview day!
It was in the evening the ‘fun’ really began. Suddenly I started getting phone calls and emails from the weekends’ guests checking that it was still OK to come and if roads etc were passable. I reassured all except one couple who asked me to relet their cottage they had booked for the weekend. With an ominous forecast that was going to be unlikely but you never know.